Monday, February 25, 2008

The 'Big' Hill

Yesterday afternoon we headed outside to play with the girls. The sun was shining and the air wasn’t as bitterly cold as it has been.

Leah had a ball just running through the few inches of snow that we have (its got that crust on it, so it crunches when you walk on it). She thought that was cool.

Taylor was looking for something a little more exciting. So I got out the snow tube. (Technically, it’s a “Thunder Tube”… and for those of you reading this that played at my house as kids – Yes, it’s the same yellow Thunder Tube that we took sledding down Tank Hill and off that cool hill on Route 39 - before they had the nerve to build a house at the bottom of it.)

She got so excited when she saw it. She’s our little thrill seeker so I decided I’d push her down the ‘big hill’ – not the one that comes down from the barn door, the one that drops off the back yard too the brush line (see picture below).

She settled in to the seat, grabbed on to the handles and I gave her a running push. She giggled. I let go. She giggled. The tube took off down the hill. (Remember that crust I mentioned earlier? Not only does it make a crunchy sound when you walk on it, but it also allows Thunder Tubes with a small child on it to go very fast.) Then she really giggled! By the time I caught up at the almost bottom of the hill she was giggling and asking for more – So up the hill we went. (And by “we” I mean Taylor on the tube with me pushing her up the hill.)


Only to turn around and do it again… at which point she flew past the bottom of the hill and down in to the flat portion of the back yard. (See diagram below.)

It was a much looooooonger trip to the top up the hill this time, at which point I came to 2 realizations:

1) I am old.

2) I am squishy.

But I made my daughter laugh, so I think I’ll survive. (And, if we keep this up, although I won’t be getting any younger, perhaps I’ll end up a little less squishy before summer comes and I really need to run up and down that hill.)

-ps-

My quads weren’t terribly pleased with me upon getting out of bed this morning, but they seem to have gotten over it.

No comments: